Art Deco Design – The Evergeen Architecture Style You Should Know About
No matter how modern architecture may get, there’s just something enchanting about old architectural designs. It’s hard not to stand in awe of iconic historical masterpieces like Mexico City’s Palacio de Bellas Artes, Paris’ Théâtre des Champs-Élysées, or New York’s Chrysler Building.
If you’re looking for inspiration for your next project or even just wondering about these works of art, note that the structures follow a form of architecture called Art Deco design.
What is Art Deco Design?
Also known as Deco, this style of architecture first appeared in Pre-World War I France. Quite visually striking in an obvious manner, the style largely borrows from Impressionism, Modernism, and Neoclassicism. At the time of its inception, these movements influenced designers and architects to quite an extent. The style employs a combination of classical design, industrial design, and modern technology, all while maintaining its functional aesthetic.
Key Features of Art Deco
On a structure’s exterior, key art deco characteristics include:
- Clean, rectangular design
- Geometric shapes and patterns
- Straight lines
On a structure’s interior, key art deco characteristics include:
- A dome
Other characteristics include:
- Chevron arrangements (inverted V-shape motifs)
- Exaggerated curves
- Floral patterns
- Hard edges
- Hefty geometric influences
- Low reliefs
- Sleek and streamlined forms
- Smooth and straight lines
- Stepped forms
- Sunrise or sunburst motifs
- Trapezoidal shapes
- Triangular shapes
- Vibrant, bright, and often kitschy colors
- Ziggurat patterns
Interesting History and Facts About Art Deco
1. Credit for the architecture doesn’t go to one person, rather to many people across the globe. Upon close inspection, it is noticeable that the style features representations of everyday objects using geometric forms, bright colors, and bold shapes.
2. The design is not only applied to architecture but also to clothing, jewelry, furniture, and even automobiles. The style’s defining feature is the unique geometric patterns it boasts.
3. Before it became the evergreen influence it is today, it once went completely out of fashion. Its revival came about in the late 60s.
4. Highlights of this style are widely available in ads and posters of this era. The most distinctive part of art deco font is a balance in thinness and thickness in between letters.
5. The walls come with punctured openings and windows are always either round or square.
Summing It Up
There’s no other art movement quite like Art Deco. Experts state that its strengthening feature is definitely that it borrows elements from a wide array of movements. Its designs make for a visually memorable experience, offering the ideal blend between modern and ancient.
More in Smart Life
Simple Tips To Grow Your Social Media Following
Today, businesses and company leaders invest a significant amount of time, money, and effort into establishing a fan following. Yet, the...January 23, 2023
First Look Of The Dubai Moon Resort Plan
Moon World Resorts Inc. (MWR), a Canadian architectural firm and intellectual property owner, claims that Dubai may eventually host a $5...January 15, 2023
4 TV Shows That Look Exactly Like A Movie
As the entertainment industry advances daily, the difference between TV shows and films is becoming more and more blurred. Certain TV...January 5, 2023
The Most Expensive Celebrity Memorabilia Items Ever Sold
Who would be willing to spend over $5,000 for a used tissue or over $10,000 for their favorite celeb’s fake nails?...December 29, 2022
Prince Harry And Meghan Markle Receive Ripple Of Hope Award
It has been one hell of a year for these former royals! No matter what went on in the Royal family,...December 25, 2022
Top 6 Residential Areas In London That Are Crazy Expensive In 2023
In the United Kingdom, the housing market has been soaring since the inception of the pandemic. Now, the situation is growing...December 19, 2022
Producers Are Looking for a New James Bond After Daniel Craig’s Retirement. Any Guesses?
Daniel Craig leaving the ‘James Bond’ franchise was a bombshell that made 2020 perhaps the worst year yet, and while he...December 10, 2022
You’ll Never Believe How ‘Dead to Me’ Star Christina Applegate Spends Her Fortune
With an Emmy Award and numerous nods from prestigious award-giving bodies under her belt, Christina Applegate has amassed a fortune that...December 5, 2022
Mission Possible! Tom Cruise and NASA Collaborating on Next Film That Will be Shot in Space
Investors and tech geniuses have long toyed with the idea of going to space commercially – just like how people go...November 30, 2022
You must be logged in to post a comment Login