Art Deco Design – The Evergeen Architecture Style You Should Know About
No matter how modern architecture may get, there’s just something enchanting about old architectural designs. It’s hard not to stand in awe of iconic historical masterpieces like Mexico City’s Palacio de Bellas Artes, Paris’ Théâtre des Champs-Élysées, or New York’s Chrysler Building.
If you’re looking for inspiration for your next project or even just wondering about these works of art, note that the structures follow a form of architecture called Art Deco design.
What is Art Deco Design?
Also known as Deco, this style of architecture first appeared in Pre-World War I France. Quite visually striking in an obvious manner, the style largely borrows from Impressionism, Modernism, and Neoclassicism. At the time of its inception, these movements influenced designers and architects to quite an extent. The style employs a combination of classical design, industrial design, and modern technology, all while maintaining its functional aesthetic.
Key Features of Art Deco
On a structure’s exterior, key art deco characteristics include:
- Clean, rectangular design
- Geometric shapes and patterns
- Straight lines
On a structure’s interior, key art deco characteristics include:
- A dome
Other characteristics include:
- Chevron arrangements (inverted V-shape motifs)
- Exaggerated curves
- Floral patterns
- Hard edges
- Hefty geometric influences
- Low reliefs
- Sleek and streamlined forms
- Smooth and straight lines
- Stepped forms
- Sunrise or sunburst motifs
- Trapezoidal shapes
- Triangular shapes
- Vibrant, bright, and often kitschy colors
- Ziggurat patterns
Interesting History and Facts About Art Deco
1. Credit for the architecture doesn’t go to one person, rather to many people across the globe. Upon close inspection, it is noticeable that the style features representations of everyday objects using geometric forms, bright colors, and bold shapes.
2. The design is not only applied to architecture but also to clothing, jewelry, furniture, and even automobiles. The style’s defining feature is the unique geometric patterns it boasts.
3. Before it became the evergreen influence it is today, it once went completely out of fashion. Its revival came about in the late 60s.
4. Highlights of this style are widely available in ads and posters of this era. The most distinctive part of art deco font is a balance in thinness and thickness in between letters.
5. The walls come with punctured openings and windows are always either round or square.
Summing It Up
There’s no other art movement quite like Art Deco. Experts state that its strengthening feature is definitely that it borrows elements from a wide array of movements. Its designs make for a visually memorable experience, offering the ideal blend between modern and ancient.
More in Smart Life
Reality TV Stars Who Successfully Transitioned to Acting
Many aspiring stars find it difficult to get their foot in the door when it comes to the entertainment industry. In...May 5, 2023
Shocking! How Chris Evans Almost Didn’t Become Captain America
Can you think of someone else playing the role of Captain America than Chris Evans? It’s a picture that’s hard to...April 28, 2023
Disney Movies That Deserve Their Own TV Series
Disney movies have always been a part of popular culture, and their influence on children and adults is undeniable. From “The...April 24, 2023
How To Keep Your Skin Glowing & Healthy At Home
Care for Your Skin Type Every person’s skin is unique. So, it is important to take the time to understand your...April 16, 2023
Decoding The Concept Of ‘Smelling Rich’
When someone mentions the term “smelling rich,” it’s easy to conjure up images of designer fragrances, luxurious colognes, and high-end perfume...April 10, 2023
Blockbuster Black Shows That Revolutionized The TV Industry
The black TV industry has come a long way since its humble beginnings, and there have been countless black-led shows that...April 1, 2023
The Best A24 Movies You Need to Watch Right Now
A24 is a film production and distribution company known for its exceptional quality and impressive cinematic works. Since its inception in...March 26, 2023
Thelma Pearl Howard: The Housekeeper Who Died As A Millionaire!
Yes, you read it correctly – there has been a maid in history who died as a millionaire! She, however, wasn’t...March 20, 2023
Symptoms And Risk Factors Of Hay Fever
Hay fever, also known as allergic rhinitis, is a common condition affecting millions worldwide. It is caused by an allergic reaction...March 17, 2023