Art Deco Design – The Evergeen Architecture Style You Should Know About
No matter how modern architecture may get, there’s just something enchanting about old architectural designs. It’s hard not to stand in awe of iconic historical masterpieces like Mexico City’s Palacio de Bellas Artes, Paris’ Théâtre des Champs-Élysées, or New York’s Chrysler Building.
If you’re looking for inspiration for your next project or even just wondering about these works of art, note that the structures follow a form of architecture called Art Deco design.
What is Art Deco Design?
Also known as Deco, this style of architecture first appeared in Pre-World War I France. Quite visually striking in an obvious manner, the style largely borrows from Impressionism, Modernism, and Neoclassicism. At the time of its inception, these movements influenced designers and architects to quite an extent. The style employs a combination of classical design, industrial design, and modern technology, all while maintaining its functional aesthetic.
Key Features of Art Deco
On a structure’s exterior, key art deco characteristics include:
- Clean, rectangular design
- Geometric shapes and patterns
- Straight lines
On a structure’s interior, key art deco characteristics include:
- A dome
Other characteristics include:
- Chevron arrangements (inverted V-shape motifs)
- Exaggerated curves
- Floral patterns
- Hard edges
- Hefty geometric influences
- Low reliefs
- Sleek and streamlined forms
- Smooth and straight lines
- Stepped forms
- Sunrise or sunburst motifs
- Trapezoidal shapes
- Triangular shapes
- Vibrant, bright, and often kitschy colors
- Ziggurat patterns
Interesting History and Facts About Art Deco
1. Credit for the architecture doesn’t go to one person, rather to many people across the globe. Upon close inspection, it is noticeable that the style features representations of everyday objects using geometric forms, bright colors, and bold shapes.
2. The design is not only applied to architecture but also to clothing, jewelry, furniture, and even automobiles. The style’s defining feature is the unique geometric patterns it boasts.
3. Before it became the evergreen influence it is today, it once went completely out of fashion. Its revival came about in the late 60s.
4. Highlights of this style are widely available in ads and posters of this era. The most distinctive part of art deco font is a balance in thinness and thickness in between letters.
5. The walls come with punctured openings and windows are always either round or square.
Summing It Up
There’s no other art movement quite like Art Deco. Experts state that its strengthening feature is definitely that it borrows elements from a wide array of movements. Its designs make for a visually memorable experience, offering the ideal blend between modern and ancient.
More in Smart Life
Fun Things to Do When On a Long Road Trip
Planning on vacationing somewhere far off? We’re sure you’ve got an itinerary set for when you get there. But have you...October 5, 2021
Jerry Seinfeld’s Greatest Achievement? Surprisingly, It Isn’t His Sitcom ‘Seinfeld’
Multiaward-winning sitcom ‘Seinfeld’ aired its last episode in 1998, nine years after it first graced our televisions, but despite its...August 20, 2021
Of All the ‘James Bond’ Films, This Was the Most Expensive to Make at $250 Million!
The next ‘James Bond’ film, titled ‘No Time to Die,’ is historic because it serves as the 25th in the franchise,...July 29, 2021
All The Sweet Things You Didn’t Know about John Krasinski and Emily Blunt’s Relationship
Love can be fickle in Hollywood, but still, there are a handful of celebrity couples who prove that you can find...July 17, 2021
This Was The Exact Moment John Legend Knew Chrissy Teigen Was the One He Would Marry
Chrissy Teigen and John Legend are one of Hollywood’s most playful couples evidenced by their social media banters. They aren’t afraid...July 8, 2021
How American Spending Habits Have Changed Drastically During the Pandemic
The coronavirus pandemic has beaten us – it cut off our physical connection to the rest of the population, closed...June 10, 2021
Daniel Radcliffe’s Epic Response After Harry Potter Costar Rupert Grint Became First-time Dad
The ‘Harry Potter’ saga has long been over, but the friendships formed between the stars who practically grew up together on...May 20, 2021
Lisa Kudrow Says She Felt Like a Monster for Enforcing This STRICT Rule at Her Mother’s Funeral
There’s nothing wrong with being a little cautious, especially now that a highly contagious virus is wreaking havoc across the world....April 28, 2021
Joe Rogan Signs UNBELIEVABLY Lucrative Deal with Spotify for Exclusive Rights to His Podcast
Joe Rogan, the former ‘Fear Factor’ host and commentator, is the man of the hour or perhaps the year after...April 5, 2021